I went to see an ENT doctor today (Dr. S - named one of NY Magazine's best doctors) to check out my salivary glands and ask him about the pressure and discomfort I've been having the last couple of weeks. After getting my history, he felt around my face, cheeks, mouth and behind my ears and he didn't see or feel anything abnormal.
He said that I am still well within the normal timeline after RAI to be getting the salivary gland discomfort I am currently having and that there is probably nothing to worry about right now. He said that it could take as long as 6 months to subside (pressure and dryness). He said that the most important thing, over the next few months, is to stay hydrated as much as possible and keep the saliva flowing through my glands either using gum, sucking candies, etc. If you mouth and glands get too dry, than the saliva can get thick ("sludge") and clog up the tiny ducts in the salivary glands. Dr. S said that that was probably the "bump" I was feeling behind my ear - a clogged duct with thick saliva. The ducts behind the ear are the most like to get clogged after a couple of months since they are the farthest from the main saliva duct in the cheek. When I asked about the possibility of having a stone, he said that it is unlikely and that he didn't feel anything abnormal. Also, most stones that occur are in the lower part of the cheek and not behind/below the ear where I thought I felt one.
This was good news for me and I was happy to hear that what I am experiencing is well within the norm. He was a great doctor and I would definitely go to him again.
No comments:
Post a Comment