Thursday, September 4, 2008

Follow Up Blood Test - 9/3/08

I went back to the NYU Clinical Care Center again this afternoon for my weekly blood test. Not much substantial news to report. My white blood cell count crept up slightly from 3.6 last week to 3.7 this week (low end of normal is 4.2). My platelets still remain low. I notified my hematologist's office that my platelets have been low on the past few tests and I have a history of lower platelet counts (and the reason that I visited a hematologist in the past). Thankfully, a platelet test was added to my blood work this week to see if there is anything that can be causing my low platelet count. Dr. A's office let me know that they received my records from my past hematologist. The nurse said that I don't need to come in for any additional blood tests right now but recommended that I come in to the doctor in a few weeks to discuss my case and see if he has any new thoughts on my low WBC and platelet counts or additional recommendations.

Some questions to ask the doctor the next time I see him:

While I am glad that my WBC is moving upward, it is still not in the normal range. Is this to be expected after radioactive iodine treatment? How long do you expect it to take before it is back in the normal range again? Although my WBC count is low, are you "fine" with what I have right now? Do I need to limit any of my activities? I looked at my physicals over the past 8 years and my WBC has usually been in the mid 4 range.

Is there anything to worry about regarding my low platelet count? Is there a reason for my low platelet count? I have had a low count for many years now - do some people just have a low count?

No comments: