Thursday, September 25, 2008

ENT Visit - Another Swollen Salivary Gland - 9/25/08

I made a second visit to the ENT doctor today, and I was glad to find out that the swelling/enlarged gland that I felt on the left side of my neck was the salivary gland under my jaw (sub mandibular gland - number 2 in the diagram below). Big relief.


About a week and a half ago (about the time of Reach the Beach), I felt a slight enlargement of the gland on the left side of my neck but didn't really think anything of it. I thought it was probably due to the cooler weather and no sleep during the race or a cold coming on (a swollen lymph node). Over the next few days to a week, I noticed the size fluctuated but was definitely larger than the one on my right side. Then over the next few days, I started to find that the gland swelled up to the size of a marble in the morning and was firm, and then got smaller throughout the day. I was a little concerned. It wasn't solid so I didn't think it was a mass. I didn't have a fever or pain in my neck, so I didn't think it was a serious infection. Since I did not feel sick, I was thinking that it might be my salivary gland. From all of the diagrams I've seen, the main salivary glands are the parotid gland in your check and behind your ear (number 1 in the diagram above), and the sub mandibular gland below your jaw. The more I felt the gland in my neck, the more it seemed to be concentrated below by mouth, and not in the middle of my neck where you usually feel a swollen lymph node. I wanted to get it checked out just to make sure. I went to see Dr. Green, a doctor in Dr. S's practice and he confirmed the diagnosis. This makes sense. I guess I am going through the progression of salivary discomfort after RAI. The discomfort started in my cheeks, then went behind my ear (more severely on the left side), and now to the glands below my mouth. Dr. Green told me to continue hydration and sucking on sour candies. Be patient like I was before and it should get resolved.

He wanted me to come in again in a month for a follow up and I am scheduled for 10/21 at 8:30AM.

No comments: