I went in for another blood test and to speak with Dr. A. There was good news regarding my white blood cell count. It finally has crept into the normal range - today it was 4.3 and the low end of normal is 4.2. He told that it was probably due to the radioactive iodine and things look good with regards to my white count.
My platelets still remain low (mine were again at a 119 and the low end of normal is 150). He said that there is no cause for alarm. He looked at all of my past records and saw that I have had a low or relatively low platelet count since 1995 (Thrombocytopenia). Since I have been living with it with no problems for many years, the low count is probably caused by an auto immune issue (A person who has a low platelet count with no known cause is said to have idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura (ITP) - Dr. A discussed this with me). Due to the low counts, he said that I should eventually get a bone marrow test to rule out any another reason. He doesn't believe that the low platelet count has anything to do with the radiation since I was low before the RAI and have been for years before it. I scheduled one for 10/20 at 4:15PM in his office. He said that the test might leave me a little sore the next day but that is about it. Nothing to worry about.
Bottom line - white count is normal, platelets are still on the low end (probably caused by something autoimmune), get a bone marrow test just to be safe
No comments:
Post a Comment