Thursday, August 21, 2008

More Localized Salivary Pain

While the pain and discomfort I had in the past regarding my salivary glands was more general, dull, and covering a larger area of my cheeks and face, now seems to becoming more localized on both sides of my face, especially on the left side. It is at the top of my jawline, directly below my ear. When I massage the area, I can feel a slight bump that doesn't seem to be on the right side of my face. The pain, swelling and discomfort is at its worst during and after eating. I am wondering if a salivary stone has developed. Salivary stones are more common in the submandibular salivary duct, which is exactly where my "bump" seems to be. I have been reading a bunch of thyroid and salivary websites and the more I read them, the more they sound like what I might be experiencing. If this persists for a few more days, I will probably make an appointment with an ENT doctor and get it checked out. Below are a couple blogs/websites I found on this topic:

http://www.steadyhealth.com/Constant_Swollen_Salivary_gland_t86629_st10.html
http://www.privatehealth.co.uk/diseases/ear-nose-throat/salivary-gland-stones/

WIKIPEDIA:
Sialolithiasis refers to the formation of stones in the salivary glands. Stones are most commonly found in the submandibular gland, where stones can obstruct Wharton's duct. It is frequently associated with chronic infection (Staphylococcus aureus, Steptococcus viridans) of the glands, dehydration (phenothiazines), and/or increased local levels of Calcium, but in many cases can arise idiopathically. Pain, when present, usually originates from the floor of the mouth, although in many cases the stones cause only intermittent swelling.

Since mastication (chewing) promotes release of saliva, symptoms tend to increase during meals. A palpable lump or visible swelling in the area of the gland is often noted. Complications include persistent obstruction of the duct, leading to bacterial invasion, overgrowth and infection (sialoadenitis). This can require IV antibiotics such as Nafcillin, and sometimes surgical drainage.

Diagnosis: Usually by characteristic history and physical examination
Treatment: hydration, moist heat, NSAIDs occasionally. Sucking on something sour, such as a lemon, may increase salivation and promote spontaneous expulsion of the stone. Either an ENT or Maxillofacial surgeon may canulate the duct to remove the stone if symptoms persist

Below is an excerpt from a thyroid blogger that seems to explain my feelings pretty well at the moment:

"This just started happening to me. I get it on my right side on the top of the jaw line and just below the ear. It swells up and if I touch even slightly, it feels like it is going to pop. I do notice that if I put a cool, damp wash cloth on it, it helps relieve the pain and pressure. I really do hope they find out hwat this is, because I most certainly don't want to live with this forever. It can't be safe. If anyone who is reading his knows ANYTHING about this, I encourage you to please reply, it could really help"

"I have the same swelling...everyone here seems to have swelling of the submandibular gland or the partoid gland...these are both salivary glands. We have stones, just like kidney stones. They are either in the glands or in the duct (usually they are in the ducts). The glands are in front of our ears (partoid) or beneath our chin(submandibular). They swell with blockage. Partoid stones are worse. There are other glands, but these are the most common affected. The stones block the salva that forms in the glands and does not allow the salva to pass throught the duct to the opening in the mouth. The stones sometimes come out on their own if you suck on sour candy and press on the swollen gland, ENT doctors can take them out via the inside of the mouth if they are close to the opening....otherwise we must undergo a "big" (ENT doc's word, not mine) surgery to cut the neck and take out the gland and duct. This leaves an ugy scar and can result in facial nerve damage. Not good options....lithotripsy is not available in the U.S., but used in other countries to break up the stones. The bad news is that the stones have to come out....they grow in size and will result in infection and ultimate surgery with more complications. I am researching alternatives, but not too much has been found. By the way, a CAT scan shows the location and size of the stones. In a few cases, the stones are opaque and do not show up. In rare cases, these are tumors in us. "

No comments: