Tuesday, August 19, 2008
Parotid/Salivary Gland Pain
After several days/couple weeks with minimal or no pain in my salivary/parotid glands, today brought painful swelling and blockage in the exact same place on both sides of my face. The discomfort is usually next to my ear, and directly below my ear along the top of my jawline. I am able to produce saliva, but if I eat dry foods that pack easily in my mouth, my glands became very sore and painful. I have to pause while eating due to the pain. I have to vigorously massage the glands for a few minute before the tightness goes away and the pain takes longer to subside. This does not happen all of the time, but every few weeks it seems like the pain comes back. I am starting to eat sour candies more to see if that helps. The massage helps to lessen the discomfort once it appears but I am hoping to figure out if there is any way to prevent it. I've been reading many thyroid cancer blogs and the salivary gland blockage and pain seems common, even weeks/months after RAI. While some people have gone to an ENT, it doesn't seem like there is too much you can do. There seems to be surgery available to relieve the blockage but I am not looking to do that. If this discomfort continues, I will mention it to my endo and get her recommendation as to what to do - or I will got to an ENT on my own and get it checked out myself.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment