Went to see Dr. F today. She originally told me after I saw the hematologist on Friday that I didn't need to come in but she just wanted to check me out herself and see that I was doing OK. She listened to my lungs and heart and both sounded good. She said that she got a letter from my hematologist and he concurred that he felt my low white blood cell count was most likely due to the radioactive iodine. It could take several more weeks for the count to get back up to normal. The good news was that my white count (neutrophil count) went up from when I had my blood test on Weds to my blood test at the hematologist on Friday - going from a 1.1 to a 1.8. Hopefully that is a sign that my count is going in the right direction. I was happy to see Dr. F investigate further when she saw that my white count was low. She said that a CBC is not usually done after RAI but she is glad she did and caught my low count (and now she will do the same for her other patients). She conferred with nuclear medicine, my surgeon and a hematologist to make sure that there was a reasonable explanantion for this and it wasn't something more serious. So far, it looks like it is just to to RAI. I can continue with my normal activities, including running, as long as I feel well. There is nothing I can do right now to boost my white blood cell count other than staying and eating healthy.
Dr. F said that she recommeded I go on calcium and vitamin D to counteract the fact that I will be hyperthyroid due to my higher synthroid level (hyperthyroidism can weaken the bones)
No comments:
Post a Comment