Thursday, June 25, 2009

Thyrogen Injections and Diagnostic Scan Process

I can't believe a year has gone by already since my RAI treatment last June, but there I was in the waiting room of NYU's nuclear medicine department once again. Time has flew by, but at the same time, so much has happened since the last time I was there - radiation side effects, salivary gland discomfort, low white counts, visits to the ENT doctor, loss of taste, feeling better again, running the Philly Marathon, etc.

Today was hopefully the beginning of the end of the thyroid process for me this year. I went into NYU hospital this morning to get my first set of labs, as well as my first of two Thyrogen injections. The shot was given by Dr. Tiu, my nuclear radiologist from last year. He interviewed me and asked me about the side effects I experienced after getting the RAI treatment last year. I took him through each of the ailments that I had and we talked for a few minutes. Afterwards, he gave me one shot of Thyrogen in my butt. Here is the schedule for the rest of the week:

June 25th - 1) Blood tests at 8AM, 2) Thyrogen injection at 9:45AM
June 26th - Thyrogen injection at 9:45AM
June 27th - 1) Blood tests, 2) Receive I-131 capsule (should be around 2 milicuries)
June 28th - Scans
June 29th - 1) Scans, 2) Blood tests

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey!! While I usually save my comments for your running blog I just wanted to pass along that I shared this one with another blogger I found who is going through a similiar situation. Hope you don't mind.

Scott DeWire said...

Your blog was sent to me by one of my blog readers. I was diagnosed with papillary thyroid cancer on July 20th of this year. Wow, what a resource! Thank you for being so sharing with all your experiences. I wish you the best of luck and look forward to reading your posts, both old and new.

jb24 said...

D10 - Thanks for passing along my blog. I'm glad to help out in any way I can. It always nice to have some knowledge of the experience before going through it.

Scott - Good luck. Let me know if you have any questions. I'd be happy to pass on any knowledge that can help you out.