I am writing this on 6/25/09 after being on the low iodine diet for 15 days...
In preparation for my upcoming Thyrogen injections and diagnostic scan, I started on the low iodine diet on June 11th and it will continue until after my scans are taken - probably ending on June 29th. While I dreaded going on the diet again, at least I did not have to become hypothyroid by going off of my Synthroid at the same time like I did last year. Even though I am usually hungry and craving something good to eat, I feel alot better than last year since I can continue to take my medication throughout the process.
I have tried to continue my running throughout the diet but it doesn't seem worth it. During the first week, I was able to get in my long run of 10 miles, as well as spinning and weights, but I did not feel the same. It was probably part mental and part physical, given the fact that I am very restricted on the carbs I can eat and the inability to have any salt. The next couple weeks I decided to take things slower but it was still somewhat of a struggle. I decided to wait to run again until after my scan is over. Hopefully I won't lose to much fitness and after a week or so to get acclimated again, I will be back to my old self (pre Riverdale Ramble 10K).
I can see the finish line is sight - only 4 more days to go on the diet. Hopefully this will be it.
No comments:
Post a Comment