Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Dr. Bergman Appointment and Blood Tests: 1/10/14

I went into see Dr. Bergman on 1/10/14 for my routine 6 month appointment.

My blood pressure was 128/70 at his office which was taken before seeing Dr. Bergman.

We talked in his office first to go over my ultrasound from Dec 2013 and past bloodwork.

My current TSH level has been around 0.01 to 0.05 for the past year (I had one reading at 0.08, but overall my levels are low) and Dr. Bergman eventually wants my TSH level to get up to 0.1.  Over time, it is now good to have such low levels and can lead to a bunch of undesired symptoms (rapid heart rate, loss of weight, bone issues, etc.).  Since I have been over suppressed for 5 years now, he will look to gradually raise my dosage over time

For now, he still wants me to get a neck ultrasound twice per year, but will probably lower that down to once per year soon.

I read my blood test results last week, but finally spoke to someone at Dr. Bergman's office on 1/21/14 to discuss my results:
  • My TSH level was 0.016.  I need to revise my Synthroid regimen to 137 everyday, instead of switching off between 137 and 150.
  • My Vitamin D levels were low (20.2 in Jan 2014 and 28 in Nov 2013; the low end of the normal range is 30).  He recommended that I take 2000 units of Vitamin D each day.  I started taking them on my own approximately 1/18 (but have only been taking 1,600 units)
  • Thyroid protein was once again undetectable
  • Platelets were slightly low but I have always had that
  • Receptionist on the phone said that I may need another total body scan eventually since my last one was back in 2010.  This seems a bit weird since I have asked Dr. Bergman about this before and he said that the neck ultrasounds should be fine and that I probably would not need another scan.
Next Steps:
  1. Start taking 2,000 units of Vitamin D
  2. Change Synthroid intake to 137 micrograms every day
  3. Repeat blood tests in 2 months - approximately the end of March 2014
  4. Get a thyroid and neck ultrasound in either April/May 2014
  5. See Dr Bergman 7/10/14 at 9am

No comments: