Since Dr. Fenichel has left the practice and Dr. Marguiles is on maternity leave, I made an appointment with Dr. Bergman for my usual 6 month endocrinology appointment.
We spent a few minutes in the examination room where he introduced himself and then gave me a thorough exam which was understandable since he never met me before. He listened to my lungs and heart, felt my neck, tested my reflexes and leg and hand strength, etc. I was glad to see this. Since he never examined me before and probably has very little knowledge of my case or history, I was happy to see that he wanted to check me out for himself and not rely and past charts or other doctors' notes.
Afterwards, we went into his office to talk. I brought my ultrasound report from 6/27 as well as my bloodwork results from my visit with Dr. Heller just in case Dr Bergman needed them, but he was able to access all of my records on his computer. He asked me about the medication and dosage I was taking, the history of my condition, family history of thyroid issues, the last time I had a whole body scan, the last time I had my ultrasound, etc. He was very thorough, which was very good to see, and he wanted to get as well rounded a history of my case as possible.
He did not see any problems at all based on my results and his examination, and he said that he was very happy with the management of my treatment so far. Based on my last TSH reading of 0.05, he does believe that after 5 years that I might be oversurpressed and that he would like to see my TSH level between 0.1-0.5, but closer to 0.5 if possible, but it will take some monitoring of my Synthroid dosage.
He said that he would like me to get labs done within the next month to 6 weeks (around mid August 2013), which would be approximately 2 months after I switched my Synthroid dosage regimen to 137 for 5 days and 150 for two days. Also, since I am still oversurpressed and my dosage keeps changing, he would like me to get another neck ultrasound before I come back to their office in January 2014. Therefore, I should look to schedule my next neck ultrasound during the end of December 2013 or the beginning of January 2014.
Key upcoming dates:
Get bloodwork done at NYU - mid August 2013, Dr. Bergman gave me a hard copy of the script
Schedule a neck ultrasound at NYU - end of December 2013 or beginning of January 2014
My next endocrinology appointment is with Dr. Marguiles on 1/10/14 at 9AM
No comments:
Post a Comment