Thursday, April 2, 2009

Follow-up with Dr. Heller - 4/2/09

I went to see Dr. Heller today for a 6 month follow-up visit. The last time I saw him was in October 2008. It was a pretty quick visit and he had good news. He felt all around my neck area and he said that everything felt great and he didn't feel anything abnormal. I told him that my Synthroid level was still at 150 and that I had my 6 month post radiation ultrasound in December 2008. He told me that he looked at my results and reiterated that everything looked good and that there were no problems. He wants me to come back to his office in another six months, so I have an appointment scheduled for 10/8/09 at 1PM.

We also discussed my upcoming total body scan and I told him that I will be contacting Dr. Fenichel shortly to have it scheduled. I asked him the "schedule of events" for my scan and he mentioned the following:

-I would get two Thyrogen injections over two days.
-Next, I would swallow the radioactive iodine capsule, which would be only a tracer amount
-On day three, I would get my scan and have the nuclear doctors look at my pictures
-On days four and five, Dr. Heller stressed the importance of the blood tests over these two days in order to monitor my Thyroglobulin levels. He said that this part of the process was as important as the scan itself. He told me that if nuclear medicine does not take these tests, make sure to give either him or Dr. Fenichel a call to make sure that the blood tests are taken.

He said that since I am taking the Thyrogen injections, I would not have to go off my Synthroid at anytime. However, he did tell me that I would have to be on the low iodine diet for two weeks prior to the scan - ugh.

No comments: