Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Effects of RAI and Post Scan Preparation - 6/20 - 6/25

June 20th - June 22nd - It was bound to happen. After weeks of feeling relatively good, I finally hit "the wall". I'm not sure if it was the radiation or cumulative effects of the radiation and 3+ weeks of no Synthroid, but I had had enough. I basically lost my sense of taste, I had no appetite and no desire to put any food in my mouth, I could not stand to put another bland tasteless food in my mouth and my dizziness/lightheadedness was getting worse. I could not take it anymore. I was taking my remaining time until the scan on an hour by hour basis. I felt horrible and finally told my parents that I was "spent" - physically and psychologically. If this is what most patients felt the entire time, I feel sorry for them. Part my situation was caused by the constant fluctuation in the timetable regarding when I could go off the diet and on the meds. I was mentally prepared for June 19th and when another week was addded to that, it was extremely difficult to recover. I spent the rest of the week until the scan barely eating anything except fruit and eating and drinking the basic minimum, merely for nourishment. It was a tough time.

June 23-June 25th - I went back to work. It was a bit tough but I figured it was better than sitting at home alone. At least I would be around other people and hopefully it would get my mind off of my lack of appetite and crappy state of mind.

No comments: