After getting my ultrasound results from Dr Fenichel on Wednesday, I went to see Dr Heller today so he can further investigate the calcification found in my lymph node - found on the upper part of neck, just below my right jawline. This is where I figured it was because that was the location in which the technician spent the most time going back and forth throughout my ultrasound.
When Dr Heller came into my examination room, he was looking at my results and reiterated what the radiologist found. He felt my neck and said that he was able to feel something slight in my neck. He said that he was a little concerned because thyroid cancer cells can cause calcification in the lymph nodes. It could be benign but it can also be a possible sign of microscopic cancer cells that metastasized into my lymph node. He said that they would usually be able to tell the presence of thyroid cancer cells in my body based on my Tg blood test, but since I still have anti Tg antibodies present in my body, my Tg levels are not reliable even though they are currently undetectable. On that note, Dr Heller mentioned that he was also concerned a little bit that not only were the anti thyroglobulin antibodies still present, but their levels have been going up over the past few blood tests that I had. That could also me a sign of microscopic cells in the body. This threw me a little bit because Dr Fenichel always has said that the level of antibodies are not really important, but rather if they are present or not. Dr Heller said that the RAI scans are not always very sensitive and can miss certain things (he doesn't seem too happy with them). In order to investigate further, Dr. Heller performed an ultrasound in his office and planned to take a biopsy of the node.
It took him a little while to find the spot in my lymph node but eventually found what was originally seen on my ultrasound from last week. The calcification measured just under 9 mm. After seeing the size of the spot, Dr. Heller said that it was so small that it did not warrant him taking a biopsy (good sign). While he couldn't say for sure, he felt that the spot was probably benign and too small to carry cancer cells right now. He preferred to monitor the calcification, rather than do a biopsy. He wanted me to come and see him in 6 months and take another ultrasound. I told him I already had an appointment scheduled in October and he said to keep it.
It was a little bit of a relief that Dr Heller didn't seem too worried about my calcification for the time being. However, without a biopsy there is no way to know for sure whether or not the spot was benign or cancerous. After two years of clean scans and ultrasound, I guess I am back to the waiting game again. Hopefully it is nothing. I mentioned to the doctor about whether or not a PET/CT is something that would be helpful for me since it is also used to detect thyroid cancer. He said that he would think it over and discuss it with Dr Fenichel.
My next appointment with Dr Heller is scheduled for October 14th at 5PM.
No comments:
Post a Comment